Friday 16 September 2011

A sneaky post : )

OK, this is quite naughty, as I'm supposed to be studying, but it has been too long since I updated you all (well, in my mind anyway, and I figure if I can procrastinate from studying by scrubbing the toilet, I can at least procrastinate doing something fun as well).

We had a meeting with the builder the other day to decide on which lights need to be be (*gulp*) cut from the budget. I managed to keep most of the lights I really like, but sadly had to replace that nice roof light in my study with track lighting. Not so bad, though, as I figure I can also use the track lighting to highlight artworks, so no biggie.

One bummer is that we will only have two of the big black lights over the dining table instead of 3. If anyone has work for a maverick designer in the range of 53,000 yen worth, I'll be happy to talk to you! In the meantime, I must be happy with two and not be greedy (HUMPF!).

We did mange to keep a lot of other cool lights, though, and actually I think some lights that were in the plan we're better off without. I put my foot down with the ceiling fans though - I love them. That's that!

We will be meeting with the people who will be making the doors next week. This is the idea I have for the double sliding wooden doors going into my study:



And this is the design for the two doors leading into the bathroom area and the stairs:

I struggled a little over this door - we have a window in our house now that has this type of wood design around it, and I've always loved it. Ariana has something similar in her house, so I really did struggle (in vain) to come up with other ideas, but in the end I just kept coming back to this because it was somehow always in my mind. Anyway, it's slightly different to hers, and quite a common design in Japan, so I just went ahead! Sorry Ari! The white part will be a perspex type of washi - looks beautiful, but doesn't rip like the paper versions, and also makes the doors easier to clean (I'm always putting holes in them!).

Here are some photos of the house:





Painting the underside of the roof.
More painting.

Looking from just outside the Japanese (tatami) room door, through to the kitchen and bathroom area beyond.

And back the other way.

The double wooden doors above will go on the left, where my study is.


This is the kitchen pantry cupboard. The wood is Hinoki, which stops mould from growing.

Looking upstairs.


No comments:

Post a Comment