Saturday 15 October 2011

Curtains and being knee-deep in it!

Well, no more procrastination for me! Uni is done and dusted, and now all I have to do is write25storiesfinishdesigninganexhibitionstartpackingupthehousegotocambodiacomebackfromcambodiapackupthehousechoosecurtains...

Today my friend Ariana and I went off to a few shops to look at curtain fabric. I didn't really see anything that made me go "oh yeah! THAT!", but after we got back to Beppu I trudged off to one more shop that had a lot of MASSIVE sample books, so I began to look through them. I found one that I think would be fantastic for downstairs. It's a nice, sturdy fabric, and a nice weave, plus it has a bit of the blue in the house, a bit of the red and the beige of the other walls. All in all, I think it's a winner! I also like the flowing feeling of the design and the fact that it's so colourful. I've ordered a sample of this and a few others.

This is the wallpaper with the curtain.

And this is what the fabric weave looks like closer up, Hard to tell in a photo, but it feels nice to touch! That's the main thing!

I've also been looking a bit further afield. I'm probably going to just make a lot of the curtains for the smaller windows. For Ben's room I've decided to bite the bullet and let him trawl through Spoonflower to choose a design he likes. I think this one would be pretty cool:

whales_and_waves_aqua

I also like this one too - I think the light would look beautiful coming through this. It's 45/55 cotton/linen...





















Ben's windows aren't so big (which is a mistake on our part, but now that I'm thinking curtains, perhaps not!), so I estimate it would cost about $50 for two really cool curtains AND we support designers. Can't say fairer than that!

I'm thinking for my study to go and buy a couple of old kimonos and make my own curtains. I could mix and match fabrics, and would probably be a lot cheaper than buying blinds (they're tall windows - 195cm tall!). I might also do that for Ben's room, but we'll see. One second hand kimono costs around 2000-5000 yen (about $25 - $60 Australian dollars) and with one kimono I could curtain a lot of windows!

The 100 yen shop has adjustable rods, so installation will cost about $1.

The real question is - do I trust my sewing ability? Surely I can't go wrong?!!


No comments:

Post a Comment