Wednesday 26 October 2011

The making of a red washi wall and more.

We had a lot of fun today watching and discovering the whole wallpapering process. Very glad Ariana came up with me to check out the wallpaper (she was just as excited as me!), because then I wasn't so shy to stand and watch as one of the walls of my study went from having the chicken pox to just being dead sexy.


The amazing glue applicator. Man and machine.

Little look to the left, just a slight calibration here and there...

And we're ready to roll! OK, bad joke.

The first sheet goes up.

Note quick draw to tool belt.

He slices the edges like a master.

The second section.

Joining the two panels.

Third panel. This one was trickier - he actually had to get his measuring tape out, do some quick maths, and work out how to use the paper in the most efficient way. Might have taken me an hour. Took him all of 2 minutes.

This is what he came up with - he used one strip of paper to do the top, inside the door and the left hand side, he just cut away where the door frame goes. Nifty!

Wood and washi is awesome. I'm excited.

The last panel.

Sorry - we were so transfixed watching him that I didn't take a photo of how he got the joins so PERFECT. Don't worry, we locked it in, Eddy!

The final trim.


After cutting where the paper joins, he uses a roller to flatten it completely. You have to look very closely to tell where the joins are. Brilliant!


Ben's room is complete, and we're not only happy to report that it's made the room really nice and light, but it also has a slightly blue glow from the ceiling which makes me think a spaceship has already taken up residence. Kinda cool!

Now all it needs is his bird curtains and the floor boards, which are currently being protected by all of that cardboard on the floor, and it will be smashing! Ben is planning his "cushion corner" complete with an electronic massage cushion. The biy has style!
I designed these curtains for Ben, based on some that I saw and liked, but were the wrong colour.

It's was a bit dark to see the bathroom and toilets properly, but they are also being done or have been completed:

Sorry, the picture is a bit too dark. This is a different kind of washi paper to the one we chose for the Japanese room.
Two-tone toilet. This paper has a rendered texture. Goes with water, I thought.


The Genkkan (entrance area) has had one of its walls done too - the other walls will be different to this:

A bit of a close up, so you can see the pattern. It's subtle, but very nice, I think! This paper will also be on the back wall of the kitchen, behind the wooden back cupboards.

And, as you can just spot above, the tatami (Japanese) room has also received its feature wall, which I'm especially excited about! The dark blue washi has a lot of texture in it that catches the light and makes it perfect for that spot - and it contrasts beautifully with the wood in the room.

How cool is THAT?!

As you can see clearer in this picture, the washi has a great texture. The red one above has the same texture too.

We couldn't decide what to watch - the guy wallpapering or the dude making the doors.

Kaoru and I immediately liked this guy. He's just one of those people that's too cool for school.

These doors will be covered in the red washi.

Watching him work on our way out the door.

Love this photo.

We now have only 3 weeks until we move in. I can't seem to get any packing done, but I'm sure it will happen. He! Well, until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sakura! I'm so happy there's someone still looking at the blog - it's so exciting for me, but I worry people are thinking I'm a crazy house lady - some people have cats, I have a house!! ha ha

    It was so much fun to watch him the other night. So fast and such a master!

    ReplyDelete